Butter Beef: A Delicious Slow Cooker Recipe
This week’s new recipe is “Butter Beef.” The name may sound odd, but it’s actually quite delicious. In fact, it’s one of my husband’s favorite dishes! You’ll note that it has onion seasoning in it. My husband can’t stand onions, but he loves this dish — it has a little onion flavor without the texture of onions. I reworked it a bit to make it lower in calories than the traditional recipe and added a few extra touches. It comes out to less than 600 calories per serving and this recipe serves two people! Ingredients:
- One package of cubed beef stew meat (I think this is about 1.5 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons butter (You’re not using much, so go ahead and go all out and use Country Crock!)
- 1 envelope dry onion soup mix – I prefer Lipton Recipe Secrets: Onion flavor
- 1 cup of red wine
- 1 large beef bouillon cube + 1 cup water OR 1 cup of beef broth
- Tons of minced roasted garlic — Yes, I mean a lot!
- 1/8 cup flour (You may need more if you want a thicker sauce. This version comes out thinner)
- Monterrey steak seasoning or another beef seasoning packet for extra flavor. Use to taste.
- Salt & pepper
- (Other spices if desired. You can choose from a dash of Worcestershire, a dash of nutmeg, real onions, etc.)
Instructions Put the beef in your slow cooker. Cover it with the onion seasoning, butter, steak seasoning, salt & pepper. Throw all the minced garlic that you want on top. Remember: using roasted minced garlic yields better results! In a separate bowl, mix the red wine, beef broth, cumin, and flour. Mix well until the flour is dissolved. Pour over the beef. Cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 4 hours. You can serve this over rice or noodles (I used whole grain noodles in the picture above.) But that will add to your calorie count. My husband prefers the dish on its own. If you want to be fancy, you can try lightly browning the beef first and deglazing the pan with the red wine for extra flavor. And if you don’t like dishes too salty, you may not need the salt because of the onion soup mix. —- Bonus: Want to buy the same slow cooker that we use? Just go here!